Adding mount points

Ken Grunke yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 19 00:50:01 2003

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 12:05 am, you wrote:
>  I have a rather simple question, how do I access my other hfs
> partitions?  _______________________________________________

A simple answer:
Create a directory somewhere to mount your partition into. Default
location would be under /mnt/ but it could be on your Desktop, or in
your home directory. Name it whatever you want.

Find out the device name of your hfs partition, under /dev/. My MacOS
hfs partition, for example, is called sda8.

I have a directory called macos under /mnt/ . So in the terminal, I
type:

mount -t hfs /dev/sda8 /mnt/macos/

To unmount, I type:

umount /dev/sda8 /mnt/macos/

Which I need to do before I fire up MOL.

Then I made a bash script containing the exact same command for each,
named "mac" and "umac" so that's all you have to type if you put them
inside /bin . Type $PATH to find out where else you can put them.

#!/bin/bash
#a simple shell script named "mac"
mount -t hfs /dev/sda8 /mnt/macos/

Ken