DSL and Routing Questions

Pat Plummer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Feb 21 19:13:01 2003

Folks:

We finally have DSL coming to my area and will be taking the plunge
this next week. I'd like to get your ideas as to how I should proceed.
I have looked at the YDL HOWTO, but it covers only the use of PPPoE
rather than PPPoA/dhcp.

Here's my setup:

Actiontec 1520 DSL modem (appears to be a "brouter" -- bridge router)
with 4 eth ports
ISP wants me to use PPPoA with DHCP (but have the option for a static
IP for $15/mo)
Actiontec is configurable via http interface

DSL> Actiontec 1520 eth out> eth1 on YDL 2.3 box> YDL 2.3 box with
firewall> eth0 192.168.1.4> ethernet hub> all my other computers

I currently use dyndns on my current PPP connection for DN services and
would want to continue with that so that sendmail and http etc on my
YDL box continue to function.

I assume that I will want to use pump as a dhcp client to make the
connection.

Beyond this, I'd like to know how I should set up dhcp/pump on the eth1
interface, how to make sure routing between eth0 and eth1 occur
correctly, and any other suggestions you all might have or any
references that might be of help.

TIA!

Pat