ATY (ATI) Mach64

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Feb 24 18:41:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-24 Lee Parry wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Just a quickie, I know there's stuff in the archives about getting this card
> to work, but I couldn't seem to track down what I need to do.

The most interesting posting in the archives:

http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-user/200210/msg00023.html

That posting made me look at my X-logfile and I saw a line starting with
(WW) about "unknown RAMDAC" just a few lines before an (EE) that linear
aperture isn't available, so I knew it's time to reinstall the
Xpmac-Xserver.
... but you're card might be on of those cards which is supported by
XF4.2.0, because Xconfigurator usually creates an XF86-Config-4 which
tells XF to use the "ati"-driver. With an unsupported card you wouldn't
have got so far :-))

> colours when in X are all crazy. The res is right though, 1024x768.

Before I reinstalled Xpmac I got unaccelerated (slooow) 16-bit-video
support from XFree86 by using its fbdev-driver-module, but I had to set
the default color depth to 15 ... with 16 I got crazy colors, too.
Please don't ask me why 15 worked ...

Best Regards,
Markus