DLINK driver installer error

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Feb 27 08:47:01 2003

I get this error occasionally and forgot what fixed it, so I did a little
digging around and refreshed my memory.  It seems that "unresolved symbol"
errors are caused when you try to load a module built from a kernel
source that is not your current/running kernel.  i.e. you downloaded
2.4.20 and built 8139too from it, but your active kernel is something like
2.4.19-4a.

This is a message I found on the Matrox video board that explains it better:
http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum2/HTML/001966.html
------------
The error you specified in your original post indicates that the matrox module
was compiled against a kernel with the "Set kernel version information on all
modules" turned on, and you're trying to load the module on a kernel that was
not compiled against the same source tree (remembering that doing a
'make distclean' is essentially the same as putting in a different kernel).

As I have said before, you have to:
a) compile the kernel in /usr/src/linux yourself before compiling the matrox module.
and
b) make sure you are *RUNNING* the kernel you compiled when trying to load the mtx.o module.

If you don't do BOTH steps, and kernel versioned symbols are enabled, then
you will get the errors you pasted above. They are the result of the kernel's
versioned symbols not matching the versioned symbols compiled into the mtx.o module.

You can verify your running kernel with:
  [ken@byteme ken]$ uname -r
  2.4.19-4a
  [ken@byteme ken]$

Hope this helps.