Successful install-----now for some tweaking

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Feb 28 06:52:01 2003

Hi Rob,

On Sat Feb 22 2003, Rob wrote:

> My permission for /dev/dsp is reset on every reboot.  I thought changing
> permissions as root should be permanent but something changes them
> without fail every time.
>
> Does anyone have the solution for this?

I have dealt with this in two different ways.  In the past, I have
added lines to /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole such as:

chown --dereference $USER /dev/dsp

and corresponding mods to /etc/X11/xdm/TakeConsole:

chmod 600 /dev/dsp
chown --dereference root.sys /dev/dsp

The "--dereference" is only really necessary if the /dev entry is a
symbolic link, but it won't hurt anything (/dev/cdrom would be a better
example).  The above approach only works in certain situations.

In my case, this approach stopped working at some point.  I'm not sure
if it was when I switched to using KDE from twm, or when I upgraded my
XFree86 to 4.2.99.2.

Now I need to make changes to the /etc/security/console.perms file,
although most necessary items seem to be in there already.  For example
I have the following entry in the standard version of this file on my
system:

<sound>=/dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/midi* \
	/dev/mixer* /dev/sequencer \
	/dev/sound/* /dev/beep

Here's a comment from the top of this file:

# This file determines the permissions that will be given to priviledged
# users of the console at login time, and the permissions to which to
# revert when the users log out.

This file also now seems to control the X environment (at least for me
with KDE and the new XFree86 4.2.99.2).  In my case, I modified the
<cdrom> entry to add /dev/dvd* and /dev/rdvd* components so I could
use xine as a normal user to watch DVDs.

						-Hope this helps

						-Bill