FROM ADMIN: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM eggs and SPAM

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Feb 28 06:52:09 2003

Hi Chris,

On Mon Feb 24 2003, Chris wrote:

> Ok, I'm starting to get really annoyed with the spam on this list
> recently, so I've change the list config so that only members can post. If
> this causes a problem for anyone, please email me directly (and not to the
> list).

This seems to be major overkill and a bad policy.  I count only 3 spam
messages this month out of a couple hundred or more total messages.

The yellowdog-general list should be an open list.  I for one read it
via the web e-mail archive as I have time, and this new policy will
prevent me from helping other YDL users or posting my own questions.
I can't even directly e-mail a person posting a question since the
web archive doesn't divulge e-mail addresses, which I understand is
to prevent them from being harvested by spammers, and I agree that
that policy is an unfortunately necessary evil.  However, making the
yellowdog-general list a closed list is unnecessary and is totally
contrary to the open Linux philosophy and hurts its community.

						-Regards

						-Bill