Scheduled startup à la MacOS 7,8,9

Stephane Daury yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 15 13:25:01 2003

Hi there all,

I was wondering if there is a way in Linux (and especially YDL) to
emulate what one can do with the old(er) Mac OS Energy Saver control
panel: scheduling a startup from power off.

I have a starmax 3000/180 running YDL 2.3 (kernel 2.2.* + BootX), which
I'm using to test software I write, and also as a backup server. I've
shorted pin 4 and 10 of the VGA port so that I can run it headless
(fakes an Apple 16" monitor, pin 4 and 11 should work too).

What I'd like to do is to have the box startup at a specific time every
day so that my other boxes can backup to it over samba, nfs, or other,
since I don't need it up all the time (noisy).

I tried setting up the remaining mac os (7.6) install to handle the
scheduled startup, but even though it works the first time, the setting
gets overwritten as soon as YDL boots once (doesn't work thereafter and
I have to set it up again, therefore defeating the whole purpose).

The scheduled shutdown isn't an issue. The trusty cron handles this for
me.

Any idea what I can do? The added difficulty in my context, I think, is
that I'm running BootX, since the machine is an OldWorld one, and it
must boot the Mac OS 1st, then switch to YDL.

But, for the heck of it, do let me know if there's a way for NewWorld
machines to do it, in case I can't with an OldWorld one.

Thanks for any help you might provide.

Cheers,

Stephane Daury