Unicode or utf8-support? low double quotation marks?

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 17 03:51:01 2003

Hi

Am Fre, 2003-01-17 um 09.57 schrieb Chris Croome:
^^^                ^^       ^^^^^^^
[ Some German lesson for everyone, Am=On, um=at, schrieb=wrote, :-))
lang="de_DE" obviously does work for most menus/boxes Ximian and Gnome
1.4, *not* for KDE 3, *not* for low double quotation marks :-(( ]
> I have this in my .bash_profile:
>
>   LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"

 I've set the lang-variables in a "system wide" way here:

    /etc/sysconfig/i18n

>   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html
>
> Another good test page is this and everything works:
>
>   http://www.unicode.org/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html
>
> I don't know if this helps at all...

Somehow, I suspected after all I read that adding unicode support to YDL
2.3 (which is basically a RedHat 7, not 8 yet, I was told once) requires
a lot of work, eg recompiling a lot of stuff. I even don't know whether
they checked the utf8-option when they compiled the 2.4.19-kernel...;
So it might be better to wait for YDL 3 ... I'll also see what
international/unicode-support SusePPC-Linux might provide. It's a German
company (though all their support pages offer nothing on getting special
characters).

Markus