PPC 8500/150 running ?Newtech? G# processor

Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 2 15:05:01 2003

From: Thomas <macgix@macgix-services.com>
Date: Wed Jul 2, 2003  9:58:27  PM Europe/Berlin
To: Chris Bacon <c1fer@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: PPC 8500/150 running ?Newtech? G3 processor

Dear Chris

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 09:27  PM, Chris Bacon wrote:

> How do I create a MAC boot disk. I downloaded the SIT
> file, I need to create a MAC Boot CD. Can I do it from
> my Windows2000 Laptop with a CD burner?
>
> I guess I need the ISO file too.

No, you need an original Mac OS System CD that ships with every Mac (or
an HFS- ISO Image of it). A Mac OS 8 or later CD will do fine.

Simply copy the files from the disk image to an empty HFS (not HFS+)
partitition and choose it as your startup disk from the appropiate
control panel, reboot, choose the install option (use the TAB key when
the GNU/Linux screen appears to enter the prompt) insert the YDL CD-ROM
and you can run the installation.

(To do this without havin a Mac OS installed you need a bootable Mac OS
CD in order to access the HFS partition without a residing Mac OS to
place the files from the disk image onto it. From Mac OS 9 on you can
access AppleTalk networks when bootet from the Sytem CD!!!)

You will need a bootable System CD too in order to edit your miboot
config file later when installing another kernel (if you need to do so).

If you have further detailed questions, don't hesitate to post them. I
will take care of the list mostly every day once.

Thomas