Xserve fan makes allot of noise in YDL3 but not OSX?

Mackay, Michael yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 8 06:25:01 2003

Nathan,

I see the same thing on my Xserve.  My theory is that an OSX process =
controls the speed of the fan based on CPU temperature, and thus keeps =
everything stable.  Under YD, there is no such process, and the fans at =
their default speed are not running quite fast enough to keep them cool, =
and an on-board failsafe kicks the fans on high to bring the temperature =
back down. =20

My temporary solution is to remove the other disk drive blanks, which =
seems to provide more airflow and keeps things happy.  The right thing, =
of course, would be to implement something that does the same feedback =
loop that seems to be in OSX.  It would be a cool (no pun intended) =
weekend project for someone - if only I had a weekend!

Cheers,

Mike Mackay