PPC 8500/150 running ?Newtech? G3 processor

Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 8 18:54:01 2003

Dear Chris

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 07:13  PM, Chris Bacon wrote:

> Thanks Thomas, but I'm afraid I may need more help.
> Can you give information on creating a Bootable CD for
> the steps below?
>
> I have a OS9 cd that I got from ebay. when I tried to
> boot on the MAC it said I needed a newer version.

I never experienced it that way but the other way round. Normally Mac
OS 9 should boot the PPC from the CD by holding the C-key with the CD
inserted when powering up the Mac.

> Currently running OS8.2 (but again, I would rather
> blow off all MAC and run on Linux)
>
> If took the hard drive out and put a new one with NO
> information, do you think the OS9 will work since it
> will not see an existing OS in there?

Is it a Mac OS 9 Install CD or a Mac OS 9.1 Update CD? The install CD
should install fine without having an OS already installed. - Looks
like it's an update cd if it says cannot update your system because
it's too old.

Simple idea: Take an external SCSI-drive, put your Mac OS 8.2 on it by
copying the System Folder and Applications to the new drive.

Then reformat the internal drive with one HFS boot partition for
Alexander's miBoot files.

Now go on to install YDL 3.0 using BootX from Mac O 8.2.

This should do it. Later when you want to boot back from the external
drive (means after using miBoot for starting up YDL from the bootstrap
partition), hold Command-Alt-Shift-Tab and the SCSI ID number of the
drive.

The Mac will boot from external then instead of booting from the boot
partition.

> Also you mentioned I can boot without MAC. IS there a
> Linux bootable cd that I can create so that I can boot
> Purely on Linux and install using miboot and yaboot.

Yes, Alexander instructions are telling how this could be done-

To create a Mac OS bootable CD you will need Roxio Toast Titanium or
(older) Adapted Toast 4. You will have the Apple CD-ROM driver
installed in the OS you are using Toast with. Then you can burn a
bootable Mac OS HFS CD by choosing the appropiate option.

> Thanks
>
> Chris P. Bacon

Hopefully this leads you to success,

Thomas