airport problem

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 10 17:40:01 2003

To connect to the base station:

/sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid "your_network_name" enc your_wep_key_goes_here

Using the OSX Airport Admin the network name is fairly obviously
labelled as 'AirPort Network Name:' and the WEP key is displayed by
selecting 'Equivalent Network Password' from the 'Base Station' menu.

/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.255

Replace 192.168.0.255 with the ip address of your base station.

I add both these commands to /etc/rc.local so that they are executed
when Linux boots. Worked fine with YDL2.3 and YDL3.0.

If you're using the base station as a DHCP server you'll have to tweak
this config a bit, though I'm pretty sure I've read a few accounts of
people having no luck getting such a configuration to work so you might
want to think about using static IPs instead. Can't think where I read
that now. Hmmmm. Probably not true at all.

Good Luck

Greg Hamilton