airport problem (maybe not?)

Jeff Burton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 10 19:14:01 2003

I don't have a base station.
I am using "Internet Sharing" in OSX on my G4 Tower(has airport card),
and sharing with airport equipped computers is enabled.

The airport cards are talking to each other...
the IP routing table shows IP 10.0.2.0 as the destination for eth1.
ifcfg-eth1 is set to use dhcp. (BOOTPROTO=dhcp)
You cannot set an IP address with internet sharing, you can only enable
encryption and set the channel

I don't want eth1(or eth0) up at boot, so I use 'ifup/ifdown' to
start/stop the network, whether I am using a static IP connex at work,
or (wanting to use ) airport at home.

I can connect to outside ftp servers with ncftp(on the ibook, which has
a wireless conex with my G4), but after my password is accepted and I'm
dropped into the base dir the server does not respond when i do "ls"
and I am booted out.

I also cannot get any web browsers to work ....all can't find the web
pages I type in.

As I mentioned something similar happened With the static IP as well.
That somehow went away w/o me doing anything that I am aware of.  (I
would like to know what happened..)

As well, I have gotten this to work in YDL 2.3 before with this same
method(different install), but cannot now no matter what I do!

So it seems I am connected to the internet, but cannot interact with
it....?

I am stuck.