airport problem (maybe not?)

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 10 20:21:01 2003

On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 11:13  AM, Jeff Burton wrote:

> I don't have a base station.
> I am using "Internet Sharing" in OSX on my G4 Tower(has airport card),
> and sharing with airport equipped computers is enabled.
Oops, sorry I should have read your message more carefully.

I gather you can talk over wireless b/w the iBook and the G4, so you
know the wireless is working.

ftp problems are the norm over forwarded connections because of the way
non-passive ftp works.

It's interesting that you can connect to the ftp server though. Are you
specifying the ftp server by IP address or host name? Ditto the web
sites you can't browse. Perhaps the connection is working but your
iBook doesn't know where to look for DNS. I have a 'nameserver' in
/etc/resolv.conf which specifies the address of my local DNS server.

If you are able to resolve the IP address of host names but can't
connect then perhaps DNS is configured but you don't have a default
gateway in your routing table.

Try running '/sbin/route'. There should probably be an entry with
destination=default, gateway='your gateway host', and interface='eth1'.

Hope this helps.

Greg