YDL 3.0 install and Epson C40UX printer

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 28 21:28:00 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 02:58:43AM +0200, mamonbbux wrote:
> Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au a écrit :
> >Can you print a text file from the shell?  If you
> >have not tried then try a command such as `lp -dprinterqueue filename'
>
> first time to-night that I try lp.. lp -d epson, lp -dlp0, lpr -P epson,
> etc., all that giving me lines and lines and lines, pages and pages and
> pages... in the shell, not out of the printer!

What is your queue name.  Try a command such as `lpstat -a', for me
this gives the following queues:

lpstat -a
k7155 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
lj4 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
lj8000 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
lp0 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00

I can print a text file to any of these using a command such as
`lp -dlp0 filename' or `lpr -Plp0 filename'.  [My understanding is
that the first style mimicks System V print queues, the second BSD,
CUPS will accept both.  I am used to the first style from recent
Solaris setups].  The first three queues are printers at work, the
last is my home printer.  You should just use the name that is
returned from this command in  a print command, it is the name of the
queue.

> believe me, I don't understand not at all,not at all! what did turn my
> Epson good-mood-under-the-moon.

I can only think that it is the queue name?  It may be incorrectly
typed for some attempts.  I keep the queue names short and simple so I
am less likely to make a mistake (and it still happens sometimes).

In something like Mozilla I have the print command (click on Print,
then click on properties) defined as `mpage -2 -bA4 | lp -dlj4' at
work so that I get two-up output from mpage piped to the lj4 queue
(this is the HP LaserJet 4MP just down the corridor, the others are
upstairs and down two corridors).  For xpdf I have the queue set to
the Konica as it does double sided which is suitable for downloaded
research papers.

In most of these applications there is no box clickable to set the
printer, you need to input the correct queue name.  For those used to
point and click this is a weakness, but it does allow you to do tricks
such as those I use above to pipe the output through different filters.

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics and Materials Engineering