Customizing YDL

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 30 17:51:01 2003

I use Gnome.

> 1) Get rid of the some applets (and maybe add my own)
A right mouse button click on the on any panel item will display a
menu. Select 'remove from panel'.

> 2) Set a default wallpaper
Right click on the desktop. Last option in the menu is 'Change Desktop
Background'

> 3) Set default desktop icons
Open the main menu using the main menu icon in the panel (the icon with
the  YDL logo). Select Preferences/Themes to display currently
installed themes. Select the details of a theme. Change whatever.
You'll be prompted to save your changes as a new theme. Old theme
remains unchanged.

> 4) Set default panel icons (get rid of Presentations, add the terminal
> etc.)
To add new items click on a free spot on the panel (ie. not an icon or
applet). Select 'add to panel'

> 5) Stop Gnome from asking to shut down/reboot on exit
dunno

> I'm mostly looking at changing this stuff for Gnome, but KDE would be
> nice too. I was expecting this to be in /etc/skel, but it's not.  I
> then
> looked in the rest of /etc, but couldn't find anything helpful (which
> doesn't mean it's not in there.;-)
Don't know about KDE. I have it installed just in case I get curious
but I really like Gnome. It has the little footprint. Four toes. Cute
little footprint. There it is. On the screen. Right now. Little
footprint. Must sleep now.