Trying to http://localhost on YDL 3.0.

Dylan yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 2 17:06:01 2003

Neben Kabon wrote:

>Ben,
>
>I gave it a rest for a couple of days and I am back to trying to get my
>Apache web server running.  I am now not certain that it is running when
>I try to start it.  Trying to use the "Service Confirguration" gui it
>tells me httpd has started but I cannot connect.
>
>I have also tried
>
># /usr/sbin/httpd -k start
>
>But I cannot see anything telling me it is running.
>

>Following your questions below:
>
># /usr/sbin/apachectl start
># /usr/sbin/apachectl status
>
>Memory leak by 162 bytes
>
>List of blocks: 0x100dca00:128 @ dns.c:308, 0x100dc698:34 @ dns.c:303
>
>Forcing core dump
>
># /usr/sbin/apachectl configtest
>Syntax OK
>
>Tony K.
>
>***************************************
>
>I'm not sure, but I think this has to do with IPv6 (something totally
>unrelated.)
>
>Since there isn't anything in the error log, what happens when you type
>this (again as root)
>
>/ust/sbin/apachectl start
>
>Also, what is the output from:
>
>/ust/sbin/apachectl status
>
>and finally:
>
>/usr/sbin/apachectl configtest
>
>Ben
>

>Neben Kabon wrote:
>

>>I also have a service called ip6tables, should this be turned off?>>Tony>  >

I am still learning about Linux myself, so if I am wrong please forgive
my intrusion.  I don't know if this is the answer your looking for but:

I was trying to setup my laptop on a samll home network that I am
configuring as a learning experience.  When I tried to setup the
hostname of my laptop it would not distinguish between the two (my IP
and localhost).  I setup the /etc/hosts file with the proper settings to
no avail.  Then I tried configuring it with webmin, still to no avail.
 Then I read a few lines from 'Running Linux ' (O'Reilly) regarding
hostnames and found that if you add the line:

multi on

to the /etc/host.conf file:

e.g.

order hosts,bind
multi on

it allows for the system to recognise multiple IP Addresses for the one
host.  This solved my problem instantly.

I know this is different from the problem your having, but you had
mentioned 'http://localhost', which was the only IP Address my laptop
would see.  Hopefully this will help in some way.  If I'm way off the
mark, than sorry I couldn't help.

Dylan