static noise and buzzing on YDL

David Orlovich yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 3 01:41:01 2003

Hi again Yellowdog listers.

Thanks to those who gave me ideas for getting rid of the static noise
from my YDL installation on an iMac.  The solution I found successful
was to use KMix to control various gain settings for my devices.  It
also allowed me to play CDs without excessive distortion too - KMix
allows me to control the gain of line inputs and adjust the output
volume - like a pre and post amplifier - cool!  I think the gain on the
CD player was set too high, resulting in the static noise being picked
up by the speakers.

I was a bit confused originally because there are a number of 'mixer'
programs available - at first I had no success with the Mixer section of
the Sound and Multimedia Control Center - then I realised that was the
wrong mixer - KMix is called 'sound mixer' in the Sound and Video item
of the YDL pop-up (or down...) menu.

Thanks again!  David.