login anomalies after updating YDL 3.0

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 5 11:04:01 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 12:11:37PM -0400, Derick Centeno wrote:
> In addition to the difficulties I explained earlier regarding cups and
> pring config surprising new inability to remember where the printer is
> located there is also the added annoyance of the Kudzu application being
> invoked by an unknown sequence although there has been no change in the
> hardward configuration.  Kudzu shows up insisting there has been a
> change and proceeds a countdown which I cannot then stop via the
> keyboard.  Indeed if I allow Kudzu to proceed the hardware component
> invariably missing will be the keyboard!!
>
> The only solution I have found is to interfere with the Kudzu countdown
> by suddenly shutting down everything and restarting again.  Really bad
> on the HDs but I don't see another choice, because although the prompts
> for a way out are there < F12>, etc, for some reason my keyboard is
> completely ignored by Kudzu.  My keyboard is an ADB (old standard)
> device, I don't see how that could be missed...

Kudzu must be in the startup sequence.  To verify:

[root@byte root]# chkconfig --list | grep -i kudzu
kudzu           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

The "3:on" means that the system will start kudzu when it reaches
runlevel 3.

If you know you haven't added any new hardware, turn off kudzu:

[root@byte root]# chkconfig kudzu off

And again you can verify with:

[root@byte root]# chkconfig --list | grep -i kudzu
kudzu           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

HTH.

-ken