aic7xxx driver

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 16 21:11:01 2003

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 11:44  AM, Matt Steuart wrote:

> I've just insatlled YDL 3.0 on a Power Centre Pro with an Adaptec
> 2940UW scsi card, with a Seagate drive hooked up to it.   After
> booting,
> dmesg sees both the card and drive, but the aic7xxx module isn't
> loaded.

If there is record of the card and drive in your dmesg log, either the
aic7xxx or aic7xxx_old driver is in fact loaded, at least as of the
time when the message was logged.  Without one of those two drivers the
kernel has absolutely no way to scan the 2940UW's SCSI bus and see the
drive.

Are you sure you didn't do dmesg *after* insmodding aic7xxx?

> I have to insmod the aic7xxx driver before I can mount and acess the
> drive.  Is there a way to have the module load at startup.   Has any
> one else had experience with YDL and Adaptec SCSI cards?
> Thanks in advance!

What's the exact sequence of commands you are using to mount the drive,
before and after insmodding aic7xxx?  How about the output of lsmod
before and after insmod?