[HELP] YDL Installed OK - But Can't Boot Back to OSX!

Mark Srebnik yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 28 17:35:01 2003

Hi Bruce & YDL Listers,

Thanks for your reply.

Below is the info you request(I think) from one of my previous posts yesterday.

I can't go back into YDL3 right now as I yanked out that hard drive this morning and made my old OSX hard the Master drive again. Thought this might solve my problem, but no such luck.

Again, my apologies if I've confused anyone with my posts. I've just responded as best I could to each person who was kind enough to try and help me out. If there's a better way to do this, please let me know...

The reason I'm so anxious about getting this fixed right away is that my OSX drive has all my current work files on it, this PMG4 is a recent acquisition and I haven't gotten around to connecting my SCSI tape drive to it yet... ;-( and I still remember the pain of having to send my hard drive in to DriveSavers to get data off of it 3 years ago that cost me $2000! I bought my tape drive ($1100) right after that....

Again, really appreciate everyone who has been trying to help me out!!

Thanks,

Mark
Still Frustrated Mac User

PS. I did email YDL tech support before I posted to list. Finally heard back from them Friday afternoon, but gave incomplete response. Sent them another email and waiting for a response....

[root@localhost root]# df -k
/dev/hda12            50887100   2270864  46031264   5% /
none                    773240         0    773240   0% /dev/shm
[root@localhost root]# /sbin/pdisk -l

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
 #:                type name               length   base      ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                  63 @ 1
 2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 64
 3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 120
 4:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 176
 5:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 232
 6:      Apple_FWDriver Macintosh             512 @ 288
 7:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh             512 @ 800
 8:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition       512 @ 1312
 9:     Apple_Bootstrap untitled             2048 @ 1824      (  1.0M)
10:           Apple_HFS "Mac OS X"      129465944 @ 104975696 ( 61.7G)
11:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap              1572864 @ 3872      (768.0M)
12:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled        103398960 @ 1576736   ( 49.3G)
13:          Apple_Free Extra                   8 @ 234441640

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=234441648 (111.8G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  23 @ 64, type=0x1
2:  36 @ 120, type=0xffff
3:  21 @ 176, type=0x701
4:  34 @ 232, type=0xf8ff

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hdb'
 #:               type name               length   base      ( size )
 1:    Apple_Bootstrap Apple                  63 @ 1
 2:     Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 64
 3:     Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 120
 4:   Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 176
 5:   Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 232
 6:     Apple_FWDriver Macintosh             512 @ 288
 7: Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh             512 @ 800
 8:      Apple_Patches Patch Partition       512 @ 1312
 9:          Apple_HFS "Maxtor-14.5"    30408704 @ 1824      ( 14.5G)
10:          Apple_HFS "Maxtor-100"    209711192 @ 30410528  (100.0G)
11:         Apple_Free Extra                   8 @ 240121720

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=240121728 (114.5G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  23 @ 64, type=0x1
2:  36 @ 120, type=0xffff
3:  21 @ 176, type=0x701
4:  34 @ 232, type=0xf8ff

pdisk: can't open file '/dev/hdc'  (No medium found)
[root@localhost root]# /sbin/pdisk -l/dev/hda12
/sbin/pdisk: invalid option -- /
/sbin/pdisk: invalid option -- e
/sbin/pdisk: invalid option -- /
/sbin/pdisk: invalid option -- a
/sbin/pdisk: invalid option -- 1
/sbin/pdisk: invalid option -- 2
pdisk: bad usage - bad arguments

version 0.8a2 (16 May 2000)
        pdisk [-h|--help]
        pdisk [-v|--version]
        pdisk [-l|--list [name ...]]
        pdisk [-r|--readonly] name ...
        pdisk [-i|--interactive]
        pdisk name ...
[root@localhost root]# /sbin/pdisk -l hda12
pdisk: can't open file 'hda12'  (No such file or directory)
[root@localhost root]# /sbin/pdisk hda12
pdisk: can't open file 'hda12'  (No such file or directory)
[root@localhost root]# /sbin/pdisk/dev/hda12
bash: /sbin/pdisk/dev/hda12: Not a directory
[root@localhost root]# /sbin/pdisk -l hda
pdisk: can't open file 'hda'  (No such file or directory)
[root@localhost root]# /sbin/pdisk -l dev/hda
pdisk: can't open file 'dev/hda'  (No such file or directory)