old dogs...new tricks?

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 15 18:47:01 2003

Don't discount old machines.  I've had for several years a Dell
486SX (32-bit architecture on a 16-bit memory/IO bus) at 25MHz with
8MB RAM and a 40 MB HD.  I run a stripped down version of Slakware
(but any of the more recent mini-Linux distributions would do as
well) on it and it makes a dandy NTP (Network Time Protocol)
server.  It sits in the corner of the room and serves time to the
entire campus.  It's one of a set of 5 obsolete machines (ranging
from  i386 to P133) so employed.

Does that qualify as "interesting or useful"?

Rick

PS -- I don't think there is a mini-Linux version for PPC, but it
shouldn't be impossible to do (start with YDL and throw out
anything you don't need).   Set up a web server (another thing to
do with an "obsolete" machine) and make it available to the world.
Looks good on a resume!

PPS -- There are distributions of BSD that run on the old Motorola
Macs.  It doesn't have to be Linux to be "useful or interesting".
Remember, BSD originally ran on a 1MHz PDP-11 with 128K of RAM.
Your Mac classic is bigger than that!