old dogs...new tricks?

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 17 00:26:01 2003

--Boundary_(ID_AJOYu1dDpBM01PbFuXwqRg)

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 01:52 AM, Andrew Stout wrote:

> the 7300/180 (2G HD, 32Mb RAM) Also:  upgrade card for this
> machine (say, 400MHz G4)...great deal or waste of $230?

Depends on how much RAM and hard-disk you can/want-to install.
With a 400MHz CPU you will probably want to do some serious work on
it.  That will require some serious RAM and HD.  If the board is
limited in the amount of RAM it can take, or the amount of HD it
can address, you will find that limiting what you can do with it.

Also, Check ebay for prices of 300/400 MHz Blue&White Macs.
Roughly the same performance and lots more headroom to add RAM and
HD.  You may find that prices have dropped to the $240 range...
(just a feeling... I'm too lazy to check for myself, since I'm not
the one asking the questions.  8->)

Rick

--Boundary_(ID_AJOYu1dDpBM01PbFuXwqRg)

<excerpt><fixed>the 7300/180 (2G HD, 32Mb RAM) Also:  upgrade card for
this machine (say, 400MHz G4)...great deal or waste of $230?

Depends on how much RAM and hard-disk you can/want-to install.  With a
400MHz CPU you will probably want to do some serious work on it.  That
will require some serious RAM and HD.  If the board is limited in the
amount of RAM it can take, or the amount of HD it can address, you
will find that limiting what you can do with it.

Also, Check ebay for prices of 300/400 MHz Blue&White Macs.  Roughly
the same performance and lots more headroom to add RAM and HD.  You
may find that prices have dropped to the $240 range...  (just a
feeling... I'm too lazy to check for myself, since I'm not the one
asking the questions.  8->)

Rick</fixed>

--Boundary_(ID_AJOYu1dDpBM01PbFuXwqRg)--