YDL 2.3 Partition size issues ?

Matthias Saou yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 20 05:56:01 2003

"Michael H. Martel" <martelm@quark.vsc.edu> wrote :

> Using the YDL install CD, I can boot, partition and format the drive just
> fine.  I've tried the following partition schemes.
>
> boot - 10mb
> swap - 128mb
> swap - 128mb
> /    - 12gb
>
> boot - 10mb
> swap - 128
> swap - 128
> /    - 3gb
> /usr - 3gb
> /home - 6gb
>
> In both cases, when I get to the installation of packages I get an error
> copying package to /tmp/package-name .  I can't rule out that the drive
> may have issues, but thought before I go buy a new drive, I'd ask if
> anyone has had problems installing YDL 2.3 on larger partitions.

This probably won't help you solve your problem, but I've got questions:
- Why such a small /boot partition? I really think you should increase it
  a bit in order to have some spare space to later install extra kernels
  without removing the known-to-work one(s).
- Why two 128MB swap partitions and not a single 256MB one?

I haven't yet got a great deal of Mac-specific knowledge, but I know that
for x86 computers, I've stopped creating anything other than one swap and
one "/" a few years ago when it's for a workstation or home use. The old
"the kernel image must be below the 1024th cylinder of the drive" rule
being no more on recent hardware.

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.54
Load : 0.05 0.13 0.18, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:25)