YDL 2.3 Partition size issues ?

Matthias Saou yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 20 07:14:01 2003

"Michael H. Martel" <martelm@quark.vsc.edu> wrote :

> The YDL installer says it wants a 10mb bootloader partion, of type HFS.
> If I don't create it it gets annoyed. :-(

Hmmm, I never created that :-)

> /boot however, lives on the / partition.  SO I've got 12gb's for my
> kernels.  NewWorld Mac's tend to use yaboot (all mine do) and point to
> /boot for their kernels, much like their PC Conterparts.  OldWorld
> machines use the HFS boot partition for booting.  Maybe I don't need it,
> but 10mb's is trivial.

Ah ok, I never needed that boot partition since I have an OldWorld which
needs a MacOS installation in order to boot through BootX.

> > - Why two 128MB swap partitions and not a single 256MB one?
>
> Somewhere along the line I thought I recalled that Linux could only
> support a 127mb swap partition.  So I tend to create multiple swaps each
> of 127mb's.  I actually thoguht about creating a single one and decidedc
> against it.

Linux swap partitions are limited to 2GB, so you've got a little margin
there :-)

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.54
Load : 1.39 1.52 1.46, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:25)