Hostname and DHCP

Kristian T. Sørensen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 23 01:48:01 2003

Hi all.

I¹m running YDL 2.3 (hopefully soon 3.0) on my Tangerine iBook. I'm
connected to the Internet on a ADSL connection (dynamic IP address, and a
DHCP from my ISP)

When I boot up the startup script says that hostname is set to
localhost.localdomain. But when eth0 is initialised the DHCP server (I
guess) overwrites the hostname - and my shell look something like this:

[kristian@=x50c5a457 kristian]$

- not quite the personal touch one might look for (I might be a geek, but
not THAT geekish :-) )

I've tried to change the hostname to iBook.localdomain in /etc/HOSTNAME and
in /etc/sysconfig/network (even though both places still says
localhost.localdomain) - It helped and the name was changed, but when I try
to install mysql, j2ee server etc. I get errors stating that HOSTNAME don't
return a correct value, so I've disconnected the ethernet and changed the
hostname back to localhost, and the installation went fine and I could run
mysql and j2ee server - but when I plug it in again - it doesn't work...

Any suggestions?

- Kristian