Hostname and DHCP

Michael Tucker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 23 01:56:01 2003

Are you changing the hostname ONLY for the aesthetics of your prompt? If
so, you might be better served by editing the startup script for your
shell (probably either .bashrc or .cshrc) so that it does not reference
the hostname. That way you get a clean looking prompt without confusing
your system's "name". I would imagine that networked servers like mysql
and j2ee use the hostname in relation to the outside network. If so, they
wouldn't like your hostname unless you have that name set up with your
ISP. These programs might be happier with either localhost or the
=3Dx50c5a457 name given by the ISP.

Mike