/bin/login: error while loading share libraries: libpam.so.0

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 25 13:45:00 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:27:41PM -0400, Kenneth Letendre wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I've just installed the YDL "Internet/Intranet Server" package on a
> Power Mac 7300/180.  When I select Linux from BootX, the boot seems to
> proceed OK except for this error message:
>
> /usr/sbin/sshd: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0: cannot
> open shared object file: No such object or directory
>
>    The boot then completes, and I arrive at the login: prompt. When I enter
> my username and hit enter, the following error flashes momentarily:
>
> /bin/login: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0: cannot open
>
>    Then I'm returned to the login: prompt to repeat the above as many times
> as I like.  Has anyone else seen this problem?  How can I get this library
> where it needs to be if I can't get past my login prompt?

Boot into "single-user mode" from BootX by type 'single' as the kernel
argument.  Then mount your install CD and install the pam-devel RPM.
For good measures, run the command 'ldconfig' to update the dynamic loader's
cache file.  Then reboot.

Let us know if this fixes it.

-ken