/bin/login: error while loading share libraries: libpam.so.0

Kenneth Letendre yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 25 15:07:01 2003

   That took care of the libpam complaints.  Thanks a million.

   Perhaps you can help with the next problem.  I can now give it my
username, and get to the password prompt, but when I enter that it tells me
my login is incorrect.  (I'm fairly sure this is a correct login.)
   When I try to log in as root, before it prompts for my password it tells
me "Last login: Tue Mar 25 16:28:37 on tty1" and then the cursor sits on
the next blank line.  I can type, but can get no prompt or response.
   I suppose this could be any number of things?

   A possibly related (???) error I'm seeing on bootup is "Finding module
dependencies: depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.18-0.9a/modules.dep for
writing".  I've been able to confirm that that directory doesn't even exist.
   I've seen some indication this might mean I need to install a new
kernel? Is that correct?

Kenneth