YDL [not OSX] with linksys wireless router?? [long rant -- sorry!]

Spliced Networks yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 28 08:52:01 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Beartooth wrote:

Hi,

I have a Linksys Wireless Access Point/Router, it is model # BEFW11S4 v2.
It is the model with a 4 port hub integrated into the back, and a WAN
port. I simply powered it up, plugged my laptop (running RedHat 7.3
at the time) into it via ethernet, ran dhcpcd, and then pointed Mozilla
at the WAP.

It works flawlessly, I even have WEP 128 bit encryption working :)
I had it running in a matter of minutes without encryption, with WEP it
about an hour or so to get it working right. For WEP, I used 128 bit
keys, and had the linksys generate the key. I then took the key and
hardcoded it into MacOS X, YDL 2.3, Red Hat and Windows XP. The worst
problems I had were with Windows XP, I ended up turning off Windows XP's
internal wireless support and used the Linksys software. This was WEP
related though, without encryption, it was a cake walk to setup :)

My only comments about the access point:

a) would like SNMP support for stats and config
b) The WAN port is only 10, not 10/100.

I know that the thinking behind the WAN port being 10BT is that you
are supposed to plug a cable modem or DSL modem into the WAN port,
and that the majority of those are only 10BT, and you only get about
2MB/sec out of most residential cable providers anyway. I have the
linksys sitting behind a linux firewall, so if the WAN port did support
10/100, I could have used the 10/100 ports on the hub part of the linksys
rather than running extra cables from my office to my Cisco catalyst. :)

It looks like Linksys is going to be bought by Cisco, so we might see
some nice features added to their products :)

To get my iBook running, I simply started up YDL 2.3, and then:

modprobe airport
iwconfig eth1 essid "mySSID"
ip link set eth1 up
dhcpcd eth1

After I first set it up, I wanted to see if I really needed the WEP
encryption. I took my iBook and went for a short drive around the
neighbourhood, pinging my access point. I was able to ping the gw up to
about 2 blocks in either direction of my house.

In YDL 3.0, I created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 to read:

================

USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
GATEWAY=xx.xx.xx.xx
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=eth1
HWADDR=mm:mm:mm:mm:mm:mm
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=ibook
IPADDR=
NAME=
DOMAIN=
ESSID=mySSID
CHANNEL=6
MODE=Managed
KEY=keygoeshere
RATE=11Mb/s

1. replace xx.xx.xx.xx with the ip of your access point.

2. replace mm:mm:mm:mm:mm:mm with the mac (hardware) address of your
   airport card.

3. replace mySSID with your SSID

4. replace keygoeshere with your 128 bit key, or leave blank for none.

I'll put a full howto on the TuxPPC site, when the new site goes up later
this year.

Thanks