YDL & router -- progress, maybe

Beartooth yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 29 13:15:01 2003

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 13:14:52 -0500, Ron McCall <ronald.mccall@snet.net>
wrote:

> Do you have a line like GATEWAY=192.168.1.1 in /etc/sysconfig/network?

	I do not. GATEWAY= [blank] is all; right below it may be another
problem : GATEWAYDEV=ppp0

	I take it I should change both, right? (Verizon DSL uses PPPoE,
in case that's relevant; I had a Verizon DSL account before, when YDL
2.3 connected through the apple hub, and I have a Verizon DSL account
here, trying to connect through the linksys router.)

> That should provide your default route.  There may also have been a
> line like GATEWAYDEV=eth0 (or similar) line in the same file for YDL
> 2.3.  It is not present in YDL 3.0.

My netstat -rn output is as follows (MSS, Windows and irtt columns
omitted):

[root@bender network-scripts]# netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   Iface
192.168.2.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U       eth1
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U       eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U       lo
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG      eth0

	Oho! Does that mean that, by 0.0.0.0 addresses, the web site was
talking *neither* of the gateway *nor* the Genmask addresses (which I
tried), but of the destination?? Never once framinit thunka that!

	Do I take it aright that you have the same router as I do, or
that it doesn't matter, or both? IOW, should I edit my file (whatever it
is that "netstat -rn" displays), or otherwise change my configuration to
make that match? *And* that doing "pico /etc/sysconfig/network" will let
me make changes to match, and that I should?

	And an especially dumb one: having done "cp network
network.bkup" while in /etc/sysconfig, do I need to get rid of
network.bkup either before or after I try the modifications? (I copied
the netstat -rn display to a file created from the home root prompt with
"pico netstat.rn.bkup")
--
Beartooth the Stubborn <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
Double Retiree, Neo-Redneck, Linuxer's Apprentice