YDL & router -- progress, maybe

Ron McCall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 29 16:25:01 2003

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:24:18PM -0800, Beartooth wrote:
> 	I do not. GATEWAY= [blank] is all; right below it may be another
> problem : GATEWAYDEV=ppp0
>
> 	I take it I should change both, right? (Verizon DSL uses PPPoE, in
> case that's relevant; I had a Verizon DSL account before, when YDL 2.3
> connected through the apple hub, and I have a Verizon DSL account
> here, trying to connect through the linksys router.)

I don't know the details of your setup so let me see if I can guess.
You are going to have the router handle the PPPoE connection and you're
going to access the router via your AirPort interface, right?  If so,
just set GATEWAY=192.168.1.1 (or whatever other IP address you chose for
your router) and set GATEWAYDEV=eth1 (assuming that eth0 is your
built-in Ethernet and eth1 is your AirPort).

I will assume you're going to use a static IP address.  I have not
messed with DHCP so I can't help you with that.  Your ifcfg-eth1 file
(in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts) should look something like this:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
IPADDR=192.168.1.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
ONBOOT=yes

I think you can stick your wireless parameters in here too (I am not
currently using my AirPort at the moment and I think I just stuck an
iwconfig command at the end of /etc/rc.local back when I last used it;
probably not the best way to do it).  Usually you just need ESSID (and
KEY if you're using WEP), if I remember correctly.

> 	Oho! Does that mean that, by 0.0.0.0 addresses, the web site was
> talking *neither* of the gateway *nor* the Genmask addresses (which I
> tried), but of the destination?? Never once framinit thunka that!

I believe so.

> 	Do I take it aright that you have the same router as I do, or that
> it doesn't matter, or both? iow, should i edit my file (whatever it is
> that "netstat -rn" displays), or otherwise change my configuration to
> make that match? *And* that doing "pico /etc/sysconfig/network" will
> let me make changes to match, and that I should?

I have a non-wireless model (BEFSR11) that I used in conjunction with an
AirPort Base Station at one time.  None of this setup should matter.
It's just a matter of which interface is what and making sure the
default route tells where to send stuff.

> 	And an especially dumb one: having done "cp network network.bkup"
> while in /etc/sysconfig, do I need to get rid of network.bkup either
> before or after I try the modifications? (I copied the netstat -rn
> display to a file created from the home root prompt with "pico
> netstat.rn.bkup")

You can leave the copy in there if you want.  Shouldn't hurt anything.

Ron