VDQ : bittorrent & servers

Lee Parry yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 2 11:16:01 2003

> I think I see, through a glass darkly, that when you're
> downloading from bittorrent, you're also running a server. Some of us
> little guys have firewalls, such as they are, which *start* with not
> running any servers (afaik) -- on the grounds that running one exposes
> you to risks which require more expertise than we've got. Is there a
> real problem here, or am I just confused?

Well I guess that's true to a degree. But it's a little like never leaving
the house for fear of being mugged. If you're that concerned I suggest you
pull out your ethernet now, that's the only way to be truly safe.

Oh, of course someone could still break in, beat you over the head with an
iron bar, and steal your computer.

If I'm honest though, I haven't a clue how 'safe' or 'unsafe' using
bittorrent is, but I've not heard of anyone being hacked because of it.

Lee