Two mounting questions

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 5 10:42:01 2003

Hi Paolo.

At 11:51 +0100 on 2003-5-5 P.G. Howard-Cordone wrote:

 > Stefan,
 >
 > On a similar note, I have a problem mounting the external zip drive.
 > In fstab I have the following entry:
 >
 > /dev/sda5   /mnt/zip   hfs   noauto,user  1  2
 >
 > However, when I try double clicking on the desktop icon (or using
 > mount /dev/zip), I always get the error saying "can't find /dev/zip/
 > in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"

I am not familiar with zip drives, but in any case it does not make
sense to mount /dev/zip so try /dev/sda5 instead.  This one is in the
fstab so you should be good to go, i.e., one of the two commands below
should work.

    mount /mnt/zip
    mount /dev/sda5

This assumes that partition 5 is the one that has to be mounted, as I
was saying I am not familiar with zip drives so I don't know whether
number 5 is the right partition.

Stefan

P.S.  You may also want to try replacing hfs with auto in the above
fstab line, because you may want to mount non-HFS zip disks in the
future.

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.