Question: Booting YDL 3.0 - miBoot - ext3

Thomas Kuehner yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 10 04:19:02 2003

Hi Alexander

> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 22:42:29 +0200
> Subject: miboot revisited | YDL 3.0 install | some questions
> From: Alexander Holst <holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
om>

>=20
>=20
> Hi List,
>=20
> I just attempted a fresh YDL 3.0 install on a PM 7500/100 via miboot - =3D2=
0=3D
>=20
> it certainly works!!

I installed YDL 3.0 on an UMAX Pulsar S900 (PPC 8500) and was used to boot
with BootX. This works fine.

Today I tried to make it bootable with miBoot following your instructions.

I had to place the kernel file directly on the root level of the miboot
partition instead of a "Linux Kernels" folder and either it has to be named
"yImage" or you will have to edit a STR# ressource in the miboot system fil=
to the name your kernel file has.

I placed a "yaboot.conf" file on the root level either and set
root=3D/dev/sdb8. This is where my linux boot directory is located.

Now the surprise: I CAN boot into the kernel I use
(linux-powermac-oldworld-scsi-2.4.20-benh10) but whenever the kernel wants
to mount the root device it tells something like:

cannot find reiserfs on disk...

YDL 3.0 uses ext3 by default and this may cause the problem. I found out,
that the quik bootloader once had this problem when you converted your linu=
partition from ext2 to ext3. You cannot boot with quik from an ext3
partition.

Any ideas how to fix this? You seem very experienced in using miBoot with
OldWorld Macs.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Thomas K=FChner