Weird trouble installing YDL 3.0 on a 3400c

Ted Lemon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 16 17:48:01 2003

I've been trying to install 3.0 on a 3400c with no luck at all.   I've
set up a small MacOS 9 partition with BootX and the appropriate kernel
and ramdisk, and I'm able to get the kernel to boot.   The text
installer comes up and asks me what language to use, and  I pick
english.   Then it asks me what kind of keyboard I have, and I pick
"us".   It then pops up the screen about where to install from, but my
key mappings are completely hosed at this point - tab and return do
nothing at all.

Through trial and error I've found that 'r' is tab and the caps lock
key (no kidding! :') is return, so I've been able to tell it to install
off the CD-ROM.   Unfortunately, it then tells me that the YDL CD-ROM
wasn't found.   This is puzzling, because the kernel boot messages
indicated that it'd successfully probed the CD-ROM, and I do in fact
have a YDL CD-ROM in the drive.

Has anybody else seen anything like this?   Has anybody gotten a 3400c
installation of 3.0 to work?