Final: Kernel compiling session - 2.4.20-OW-SCSI-BENH with DEC Ethernet PCI supportĀ

Thomas Kuehner yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 18 05:47:01 2003

Hi all

I successfully built a new kernel for OldWorld Macs yesterday with
10/100 mBit DEC compatible PCI Ethernet support built-in and UW-SCSI PCI
card (symXXX-driver) support enabled so you can boot from a drive
attached to this kind of controller.

The kernel compiled without errors and runs rocksolid on YDL 3.0.

I am going to post the full kernel binary package soon (2 MB tar.gz
archive) - see below.

I even could recompile MOL from the source against this kernel and have
it run! (I have had problems with compiling MOL kernel modules before.)

So all is working, no Mozilla crashes anymore, the system runs fast and
feels smooth.

I am beginning to leave my Mac OS X machine behind. It is pure fun with
YDL3.0 and this kernel on this OldWorld Mac:

* UMAX Pulsar S900 (PPC 850)
* Motorola 604e prozessor with 233 MhZ
* 144 MB interleaved RAM
* Matrox Millenium II PCI graphics adapter
* ATTO Express PCI UW-SCSI card
* IBM UW-SCSI DDRS 4,5 GB HD
* Farallon FastEtherTX 10/100 PCI Ethernet card
* Teac SCSI CD-ROM
* Seagate SCSI DAT tape drive

The kernel package will be posted on <http://macgix-services.com> within
the next two hours.