YDL 3.0 on a PowerCenter 120

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 20 21:49:01 2003

The thing you'll get with installing 3.0 is a bunch of security
updates and bugfixes.

YDL is a small company and they can't afford to provide security
patches and bugfixes to back releases, such a 2.2.

Those of us running internet servers with at least a few ports
exposed to the wild world of hackerdom on the Internet need to keep
up with the latest security fixes.  We have to run the "current"
release in order to get the fixes.  Or else, we need to be prepared
to compile our own critical software and apply our own patches.

Does that help with the motivation to install 3.0?

If I were you, I'd back up my 2.2 disk (or spend a $100 to buy a
newer, bigger one to replace it) and do a test install of 3.0.  If
it works, then great!  If it doesn't work, go back to 2.2 and look
for some way to get the most important security updates from 3.0
installed.

Enjoy!

Rick