Installing XINE

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 20 22:44:01 2003

On Tue May 20 2003, Ken Schweigert wrote:

> > > Try again to install it from source.  I just built it last Friday and it
> > > works awesome!  I can now watch QuickTime trailers from apple.com!
> > >
> > > The one thing that I did have to do was to re-run 'ldconfig' as root
> > > to add the libraries into the cache.  Then the UI built just fine.
> >
> > I did it but the xine-ui does not install. I followed the instructions
> > on xine.org but the ui still claimes it cannot find the xine-libs...
> >
> > How did you do it? Could you explain it more detailed?
>
> This is what I did:
>
>   tar -zxvf xine-lib-1-beta12.tar.gz
>   cd xine-lib-1-beta12
>   ./configure
>   make
>   su -c "make install"
>   su -c "/sbin/ldconfig"
>   tar -zxvf xine-ui-0.9.20.tar.gz
>   cd xine-ui-0.9.20
>   ./configure
>   make
>   su -c "make install"
>   xine-check
>   xine enterthematrix_020503_osiris320.mov

It's even easier than that to build xine from source:

	rpm -ta xine-lib-1-beta12.tar.gz
	rpm -U /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/libxine1-1_beta12-1.ppc.rpm /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/libxine1-devel-1_beta12-1.ppc.rpm
	rpm -ta xine-ui-0.9.21.tar.gz
	rpm -U /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/xine-ui-0.9.21-1.ppc.rpm

As for the link for the Matrix Reloaded trailer, I used:

	http://www.movie-list.com/m/matrixreloaded.shtml

The QuickTime teasers use QDM2 audio so they will be video only, but the
QuickTime trailers (such as the 62 MB 640x480 full screen version) work
fine.  I also tried the 102 MB 1000x540 version from the main Matrix
site, but my dual 500 MHz G4 couldn't quite cut it and only played it
in fits and starts (but the parts that did play were awesome).

						-Bill