Linksys WPC11

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 20 12:05:04 2003

Q: Is PCMCIA running?

> # cardctl status
> Socket 0:
>   no card
> Socket 1:
>   5V 16-bit PC Card
>   function 0: [ready]

A: Yes

Q: What card is inserted?

> # cardctl ident
> Socket 0:
>   no product info available
> Socket 1:
>   product info: "The Linksys Group, Inc.", "Instant Wireless
> Network PC Card", "ISL37300P", "RevA"
>   manfid: 0x0274, 0x1613
>   function: 6 (network)

A: The Linksys card, boffo. What did you expect?

Q: What is the device associated with the card?

> # iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0      no wireless extensions.

A: There is none.

So, I know that PCMCIA is running, a wifi card is in but no device came up.
So the driver didn't load for some reason. I head off to the
/etc/pcmcia/config and look for the manfid in there. If it's in there, like
it is in my file, but the name is a bit off, you should try to modprobe the
name of the driver. Mine says orinoco_cs is the culprit. If "modprobe
orinoco_cs" is the one that fails, I don't know where to go next, because
I'm in a similar boat. My Cisco card driver loads fine, but I hear the "beep
boop" and a "get dev info on socket X failed" error. My Orinoco card works
fine.

For those of you who speak shabby shell script, here's the same
conversation:

PCMCIA_RUNNING=false
CARD_INSERTED=
ETH_DEVICE=
cardctl status && PCMCIA_RUNNING=true
CARD_INSERTED=`cardctl ident|grep "manfid"|cut -d: -f2`
ETH_DEVICE=$(iwconfig|grep ESSID|cut -c1-4)

if
 [ $PCMCIA_RUNNING == false ]
then
  cat << STOPHERE
  YO! You ain't got no pcmcia runnin'!

  You can start it with:

  service pcmcia start
STOPHERE

  exit 1
fi

if
  [ "$CARD_INSERTED" == "" ]
then
  cat << STOPTHERE
  Yikes! There's no card inserted.
STOPTHERE

  exit 2
fi

cat << STOPSPOT

  Well, I've got good news and bad news:

  Good news: PCMCIA is working fine.
  Bad news: Your card's driver didn't initialize a device.

  The id for the card is $CARD_INSERTED.

  If this card is repeated here: `grep $CARD_INSERTED /etc/pcmcia/config`
  then there's an entry for the card in /etc/pcmcia/config.

  You might try to load manually the driver found in there.

  Otherwise, start Googling for your error messages....

STOPSPOT