Lost YDL boot

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 20 12:12:07 2003

Decided to give DebianPPC (3.0 Woody) a try. Set up partitioning "by the
book" using the MacOSX disk tools to make free space for Linux
partitions as well as for OSX. Re-installed YDL3.0 on partition "carved
out" of the free space. Both YDL & OSX up & running, no boot problems.

Installed Deb on another new partition. Successful install; but after
Deb was on the system, only boot options are Deb & OSX. No prob at all
booting either, but ydl just doesn't show up in yaboot as an option.
It's still all there, of course--I've checked the partition map, and
everything is where it shd be.

I've tried:
*Typing OpenFirmware style boot commands (though not sure I used the
right format)   hd4:,/vmlinux     hd4: root=/dev/hda4     etc. I get the
return: "hda4  No such file or dir"
*Re-config'g the /etc/yaboot.conf file within Debian, trying to pass it
a kernel image for booting into ydl on hda4 (and placing that image
before the backup image for debian)
*Booting into the ydl install CD & going as far as partitioning in the
install process, using pdisk to delete boot partition hda2 & then adding
a new hda2 as an Apple_Bootstrap partition. [But don't know if that
would get applied if I didn't continue thru the entire install
process--I did not.]

Anybody got any pointers for getting back into ydl? If so, PLEASE help
me avoid a p.i.a everything-reinstall!   Many thanks.    --Harvey