Lost YDL boot

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 20 16:17:03 2003

Boot into Debian and mount hda4. Check the YDL yaboot.conf file. It
should contain an entry something like this:

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.22-2d
         label=linux
         root=/dev/hda4
         read-only
         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-2d.img

Copy that to your Debian /etc/yaboot.conf, change the 'label=linux' to
something like maybe 'label=ydl'. Then, the all important step that you
may perhaps have forgotten, run /usr/sbin/ybin.

Now reboot. When the yaboot message is displayed you should have the
options linux(Debian), ydl, macos. Or something like that.  Apologies
in advance if this is incorrect, but I'm quietly confident that this
will solve the problem.

I'd be interested to know how Debian PPC compares to YDL too. Debian is
my preferred x86 distro, mainly because of the package management
system, but I haven't used it on a Mac.

Greg