Powerbook G4 12' and X11

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 27 00:40:04 2003

> After spending quite a bit of time yesterday searching on the internet and
> on the yellowdog website I've still been unable to find a recommended X11
> driver for my new Powerbook G4 12'.  The yellowdog website says it supports
> this model and even lists the correct video card (NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200
> with 32MB of DDR SDRAM) but at no point does it give a recommendation for
> what driver to use

Driver "nv", I believe, but...

<URL:http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/Status23.html#23>

Unless YDL made some modifications to their XFree86 release that I'm not
aware of, the official XFree86 4.3.0 release doesn't support your card
in any way.  While the 4.4.0 release is not yet out, I believe your only
option is to use a development snapshot.  I believe this also goes for
the newest Radeon models.  I would love to be wrong on this!  See also
my earlier post on the topic:

<URL:http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-October/010312.html>

> Any advice other than just selecting the standard SVGA driver? (Or is that
> my only hope?)

The standard SVGA driver won't help you much.  If everything else fails,
I believe you should use the "fb" framebuffer driver for otherwise
unsupported Mac display adapters.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.