How do I share DSL from my YD Linux computer?

Chris Gehlker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 6 14:00:00 2003

On Monday, October 6, 2003, at 12:05 PM, Clinton MacDonald wrote:

> (My apologies if this message appears twice.)
>
> Friends:
>
> How can I share my DSL connection, using my Yellow Dog Linux machine
> (a Wallstreet PowerBook G3 Series) as a router? (Let's ignore the fact
> that this probably violates my terms of service agreement, which I
> will have to reread to be certain.)
>
> I know how to share the Internet connection from Mac OS X, because it
> is so easy: click "Share the connection with other computers on
> Built-in Ethernet" in the Sharing System Preferences panel. It is my
> understanding that this turns on the Domain Name Server (DNS) built-in
> to Mac OS X. How can I accomplish the same from Yellow Dog Linux?
>
> Some specs: My Internet service provider is SBC Yahoo, and my DSL
> service arrives as PPoE, with an IP address supplied from the DSL
> modem. The modem is a "SpeedStream 5100 Ethernet ADSL Modem by
> Efficient Networks," if it matters. I also have a no-frills Ethernet
> hub.

I have almost the same set up but my modem is a Cisco 675. The thing
is, if the modem is smart enough to hand out IP addresses using DHCP
then it seems it must be acting as a router itself. I don't see what is
added by having the Wallstreet also act as a router. As for DNS, that
service can be supplied from  the DNS servers at your ISP. You don't
need it for LAN networking. All you need is DHCP so every machine gets
an address. Then file share locally with Samba and let nmbd resolve
whatever names you chose to addresses.

Have you tried just plugging everything into the hub and confirming
that it *doesn't* work.