No CDROM

Clive Boughton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Oct 26 07:14:01 2003

Charles, Doug,

I've just installed YDL 3.0.1 on my "old" G4 TiBook (400MHz variety).
Getting airport going was my first challenge, but having loaded the YDL
OS I cannot access my CDROM (either).  I didn't receive the "can't read
superblock" message like you Charles, but I did receive a message
telling me that the device didn't exist in the fstab.  I edited that
file but then was informed that the device /dev/cdrom didn't actually
exist when I tried doing a mount.

Looking around, there's no /dev/cdrom.

I tried your "eject -t /dev/hdb" command and it seems that there's no
/dev/hdb either and so I receive the message of "device does not exist".
  I tried this simply because I have a CD stuck in the drive.

Well, all I can say is "PATHETIC!!" Yellow Dog.  I had the impression
that YD actually represented the leading edge on Linux for PowerPC and
in particular Apple hardware.  If my experiences with getting the
airport connection going is anything to go buy, I'd say that YD is
really winging it!  I'm glad I had the foresight to get all the airport
settings and etails before I trounced MacOS.  Unfortinately, I didn't
see something as basic as CDROM setup and activation as a possible
problem.  Oh! Well!  But, maybe I'm being too harsh!  YD is hardly
mainstream yet and since the software is pretty cheap, I guess resources
might be a problem.  On the other hand, to overcome poor resources it is
best to put in place really good practices to save time and effort.

Look forward to a reply from anyone who can provide help.

Thanks in advance.

Clive.