Restoring yaboot

Michael H. Martel yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 29 15:54:01 2003

--On Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:53 PM -0600 Tim Shubitz
<tshubitz@mac.com> wrote:

>     Did you even try what I suggested? That setting is stored in NVRAM
> which can be reset by zapping the PRAM. Every time that I've installed a

I have to admit no.  By the time my message got out to the mailing list
(DNS Issues upstream kept my message from reaching the list until mid
morning) I had already found this web page with information (A google
cached copy).

<http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_3.0/reset_boot.shtml>

I firmly believe that zapping the PRAM will help/fix this problem in a
standard setup, but reading this website made me think that it wouldn't
with my setup.

I'll try it in the morning, but if you would tell me what you would expect
to happen in this scenario :

	MacOS 9 		- /dev/hda6
	MacOS X 		- /dev/hd7
	YDL Bootstrap 	- /dev/hda8
	SWAP 		- /dev/hda9
	SWAP 		- /dev/hda10
	YDL 3.0 		- /dev/hda11

I would expect zapping the PRAM to make the Computer search for the first
available boot device. In this case OS9, not the YDL Bootstrap.

If I had this :

	Bootstrap
	MacOS9
	MacOSX
	YDL 3.0

Then yes, I can see how zapping the PRAM would definitely fix it.

Am I just thick in the head or am I missing something ? BTW, if it matters,
this is on a Blue and White G3 (Upgraded with a Sonnett G4).

Thanks!

Michael

--

   Michael H. Martel              | Vermont State Colleges