Restoring yaboot

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 29 23:42:00 2003

On Oct 29, 2003, at 10:53 AM, Tim Shubitz wrote:

> Michael,
>    Did you even try what I suggested? That setting is stored in NVRAM
> which can be reset by zapping the PRAM. Every time that I've installed
> a newer version of OS X, betas, etc. on other partitions I have on my
> PowerBook the boot partition is set to whatever I just installed. I
> password-protect my laptop via OpenFirmware which gets in the way of
> PRAM zapping. I disable the OpenFirmware password, restart, zap the
> PRAM and voila. Every time. Give it a whirl and see what happens.

It won't work in Michael's case.  After a PRAM zap, there is no boot
partition set (the boot-device OF variable is blank).  In that
situation, Open Firmware scans attached drives for the first bootable
partition it can find.  As he said, on his system, that's a MacOS 9
partition, not the Linux boot partition.