No CDROM issues mentioned at YDL Support

C Boughton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Oct 31 18:58:01 2003

I couldn't find any mention of CDROM issues in the support page.  The
first item on the list (currently) is to do with Panther.  Maybe I was
too late with my follow-up, I've been away from my computer for a few
days.  Any other pointers?

Chris (and Bruce), my comments on YDL were made on the basis that my
machine was not brand new (it's been around for 2 years) and so I would
have expected many of the install issues to have dissipated.  Further,
the Airport has been part of the Mac offerings for longer than 2 years
and it obviously there is a degree of trickiness with getting it going
from YDL.  I would have thought that some directions (notes) would
overcome frustration for YDL users.  Whilst some within the YDL
community might feel that my attitude is rude and offensive, my
experiences with both Red Hat and Debian have (to date) been excellent
on a number of different machines starting back on RH 4.x.  My
expectations were based on the fact of my personal experiences and that
of a computing department which strongly supports RH and Debian, were
really good, plus the fact that YDL was based on RH.  So, I was
somewhat miffed when not only the airport issue occurred which (thanks
to the YDL mailing lists) I was able to fix, but then something that I
thought would be fairly basic was somehow overlooked.  My immediate
reaction and therefore the (offensive) response was one of "Do these
people know what they're doing?"

I'm not an idiot and I'm not inexperienced - I've developed software,
managed projects and taught software engineering over the las 30 years.

Regards.

Clive.

Carol and Clive Boughton
17 Miller Street
O'CONNOR  ACT 2602
Australia

Home Phone: +61 (0)2 6247 3157
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)410 632055 (Clive)
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)419 274 775 (Carol)