B&W G3 drive problems

Brian Thompson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Sep 14 15:17:00 2003

B.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jann Röder <jann.roeder@web.de>
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: B&W G3 drive problems
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:32:19 +0200

You might have some broken Openfirmware settings. You can try the following:

Boot up your computer and hold down apple-alt-o-f .
The open firware prompt will appear. Now enter:
reset-nvram <enter>
set-defaults <enter>
reset-all <enter>

Jann

Michael George wrote:

>I'm having one heck of a time with YDL 3.0 and this B&W G3 300MHz system.
>A friend got it used from a school and it has a 6GB drive w/ 9.2.2.  I want
>to make it dual-boot with 9.2.2, so I got a MDT 20GB drive (made by Western
>Digital) and hooked it up.  Right now only the 20Gb drive is on it, as I'm
>waiting for an ATA100 cable to connect them both.
>
>I had trouble with the GUI install failing, so I did the safe mode install
>and it seemed to work okay the 3 or 4 times I've done it.
>
>After installing, though, the system won't boot.  The first try, it got
>through the state1 bootloader and then croaked on the 2nd stage.  I
>reinstalled, thinking I'd done something wrong.  Since that time, it won't
>even recognize the disk on boot, but it will when installing.
>
>I read something about a possible 8GB limit on the / partition, so I
>reinstalled with /dev/hda3 being 8190MB rather than the rest of the disk,
>as autopartition wanted to do.
>
>Same thing happened, at boot I get the flashing folder with the "?" on it.
>
>So, I thought I'd test the setup with an OSX install onto that disk.  I
>booted that CD and it got to the "pick a disk" and it didn't even list the
>HDD!
>
>I was wondering about a possible firmware update on the B&W that might
>accommodate large HDD's, but didn't find any through Apple or Google.
>
>I have the disk "jumpered" (actually to jumper it as Master is to have no
>jumper) as the master and plugged onto the tiny little cable that it came
>with.  Maybe I need to set it to cable-select, instead...
>
>I'm going to put the OS 9.2.2 disk back on to see that it still boots it,
>to make sure the ATA controller hasn't gone south on me.
>
>Anyone have any useful suggestions for how to proceed?  I've checked the
>past 4mos of mailing list archives, but found nothing to solve the problem.
>
>Surely there are people running YDL3.0 on B&W G3's, so it has to be
>possible.  If I need to, I can put YDL on the 6Gb drive and use the 20Gb as
>other parts of the filesystem, but I'd like to know that's the only way to
>go before I dismantle that installation.  And I'd really like to have the
>system be dual-boot with each OS on it's own drive...
>
>Thanks!
>-Michael
>
>P.S. Is there a way to search all the archives for strings?  I'll I've
>found so far is that I can list the archive contents by subject, author,
>and thread, but that might allow me to miss something useful...  Thx!

Jann Roeder
<jann.roeder@web.de>
ICQ: #29794099
PGP key ID: 0xC4A1DB89

I had simila problems...

I then used OS 9.2.2 to re-partition the Hard Drive.
open Drive Setup.
With out having ANY drives selected, go to Functions -> Initilization
Choose Low Level Format.
THEN select your 20Gb HD and Initilize.  This will force the apple drivers
to install on the drive.

Reboot and re-install YDL

This worked for me...  BTW do you have a Rev 2 board?  I didn't try with the
Rev.1.  I'm now running a Rev 2 board w/ a 40 Gb Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA
133 with a WD 20 GB Slave.

Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage.
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es