Moving Files Between YDL Machines

Patrick Larkin yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 17 14:57:01 2003

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 03:56 PM, Ken Schweigert wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 03:16:23PM -0400, Patrick Larkin wrote:
>> Hello -
>>
>> I need to automate the movement of files between machines.  I need to
>> move datafiles created on a MacOS X machine to two YDL machines.  I
>> need to be able to script the transfer and to use cron to run move the
>> files at a precise time.
>
> I use rsync and cron to "backup" the logfiles from an Apache server.
> rsync is available on both linux and OSX.  You will have to run one
> of the servers as a daemon, though.  This isn't much of a problem
> when you can firewall that port to only the two machines that need
> access to it.
>
> If you need or want more details, let me know.

Hi Ken -

Yes, I would like some insight.  I'm attempting to follow whats on this
webage:

http://everythinglinux.org/rsync/

On the MacOS X machine, I created an rsyncd.conf file as shown.  I
changed the values and am running rsync in daemon mode.  I created a
secrets file with a single user.   As soon as I get it to work, I will
only allow these two hosts.  Oh, I also created a data dir on the
server where the files will go...its owned by root.  The user defined
in the rsyncd.conf file is not root.  Don't know if that makes a
difference.

So, now, I'm not sure what to do next.  Still reading...  I'm not sure
how to tell the server that I'm requesting the file in the predefined
directory as the predefined user...

Patrick Larkin
Bethlehem Area School District